Home News Philippines orders senator’s arrest over ICC charges

Philippines orders senator’s arrest over ICC charges

0
7
Dela Rosa's lawyer said they will exhaust all legal remedies, including filing a motion for reconsideration [FILE: May 11, 2026]

Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa was Rodrigo Duterte’s top enforcer during the deadly “war on drugs” which saw thousands killed.

Dela Rosa’s lawyer said they will exhaust all legal remedies, including filing a motion for reconsideration [FILE: May 11, 2026]
The Philippine government on Thursday ordered law enforcement agencies to arrest Senator Ronald dela Rosa, who is wanted by the ICC over his role in former president Rodrigo Duterte’s deadly “war on drugs” campaign.

Justice Secretary Fredderick Vida told reporters that Philippine law enforcement agencies “are now tasked to effect the arrest of Senator Ronald ‘Bato’ dela Rosa.”

He is better known by his nickname “Bato,” meaning “Rock.”

The government order to enforce the warrant came after the Philippine Supreme Court on Wednesday rejected dela Rosa’s bid for a temporary restraining order.

Vida said the former police chief was now considered a fugitive who should face charges before the International Criminal Court (ICC).

What is Bato accused of?

The ICC last week unsealed an arrest warrant against Dela Rosa, accused along with Duterte and other “co-perpetrators” of the crime against humanity of murder.

He was Duterte’s top enforcer of a bloody crackdown during the deadly campaign against drugs which saw thousands of suspected drug dealers and users were killed in police operations and other attacks, which the authorities blamed on vigilantes and turf wars.

Ronald dela Rosa served as Duterte’s chief of police during the country’s brutal “war on drugs”

After his stint as the national police chief from 2016 to 2018, he was elected to two successive six-year terms in the senate.

He has denied involvement in unlawful killings.

Gunshots heard at Philippine Senate

Last week, Dela Rosa, who had been sheltering in his senate office, said his arrest was imminent and called on supporters to mobilize to block any attempt to transfer him to The Hague to face charges of crimes against humanity.

He urged his “fellow men in uniform” and former classmates at the Philippine Military Academy to “express their sentiment” that President Ferdinand Marcos’s government should not hand him “over to foreigners.”

This was followed by a night of chaos and gunfire inside the Philippine Senate as armed troops entered the building.

The senator’s current whereabouts remain unknown.

The ICC is also prosecuting Duterte, who is currently detained in The Hague awaiting trial on crimes against humanity charges. The former president denies wrongdoing.

Edited by: Zac Crellin

DW News